Skip to main content

The personal is political is spiritual

 I realized recently that my politics are based on my spirituality, and vice versa. 

I had never put it in that way before, although my religious ideas have always been a deep inspiration for my social justice convictions. But now, after separating myself from Christian doctrine and connecting more with nature-based spirituality, I recognize that my spirituality and my politics are one and the same. 

If I believe in the sacredness of the earth, I must then work for climate justice. If agroecology and food sovereignty are guiding political frameworks for me, the root of them is environmental stewardship. The heart of it is the Sacred Principle. The manifestation is how we live our lives. 

The work of Ricardo Levins Morales is a visual reminder of this beautiful interconnection.

 My work is political. I would not have it any other way, it is intentional and fulfilling for me. But I also realize that my work can be spiritual. It can be meaningful and satisfying on a soul and heart level. This brings a whole different level and light to my work. The energy I put into the world will be motivated by a spiritual conviction. It will be colored by my heart.

It reminds me, too, that in modern/Western/US culture, we so often separate "church and state", we so often compartmentalize. But for me, it is all connected and needs to be integrated. My life is the inside segment of a Venn diagram. 

So these spiritual tenets, the Sacred Principle, is my guiding star in my work and my politics. Any opinion or decision, I can base it on this as my compass. And I can work backwards, saying that the political positions I believe in must coincide with the Sacred Principle, as well.  

The personal is political is spiritual. 

Let us all live out our deepest convictions. May we all manifest our most heartfelt beliefs. Would that the world be built of sacred prayers.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sacred swallows (a poem)

I am not indifferent to the swallows who chirp and fly  in the open space at the end of my street.  From my balcony I see their festivities when the world is quiet and the sky is pale But as the day sets in and the sky grows bluer their chirps get quieter or rather - everything else gets louder. The delivery truck unloading teas and tomatoes at the natural food store across the way. The city bus  starting its route down the one-way street.  The sidewalk cafés setting up and filling up  with breakfast visitors. And my own world gets noisy, too. My son calling for me, my almost-audible to-do list in my head, pings of messages on my phone, the hustle and bustle of morning busy-ness.  The swallows carrying on rejoicing their flying grub.  Their high-pitched noise in the background now merely a memory of music.   I often wonder why else hears them? Who else notices, or cares?   I often forget to check at midday as I cross the street or wait for th...

El futuro del origen: un relato ecotópico

Flora estaba perdida. Debería de haber regresado a la comunidad antes del anochecer, pero ya era imposible. Se le llenaron los ojos de lágrimas.   “ ¡Se van a preocupar!” lamentó. “Voy a perder mi propia celebración. Y encima, ¡tengo que ver dónde pasar la noche y buscar cómo volver mañana!” T enía apenas 14 años y era la primera vez que iba a pasar la noche sola en el monte. Hoy era su caminata, un paso determinante del rito de la primera sangre. Cuando partió esa mañana, estaba nerviosa por el reto de estar a solas y elegir su propio camino. Ahora se sentía como un fracaso: había tomado una decisión equivocada al elegir la ruta. Además le pesaba la decisión que tenía que tomar sobre la ruta de su vida, el área de la comunidad donde contribuiría. ¿También haría la decisión equivocada? Estaba perdida en todos sentidos. Sin embargo, no tenía miedo. Desde la infancia, Flora había aprendido a integrarse en el territorio, conocer las plantas y animales y desarrollar su i...

Mythic Roots of the Metacrisis

Originally published by Culture Hack, Issue 07: Beyond the Carbon Fixation : Pathways to Regenerative Futures November 2024 Mythic Roots of the Metacrisis   This article explores an ancient Babylonian creation myth as a root of the dominant Western worldview. The myth tells of the god Marduk’s violent conquest of the goddess Tiamat, marking a shift from revering nature and the feminine as sacred to a patriarchal, dualistic view that separates spirit and nature. This story’s legacy influences modern systems of dominance and extraction, fueling ecological and social crises. The author argues that reexamining such myths and adopting Indigenous cosmovisions could inspire systemic change by reviving a worldview that honors Earth as sacred.   *** Around 4,000 years ago in ancient Mesopotamia, scribes recorded a story that represented a fundamental shift in the worldview of that people. Surely the result of a process that took centuries and influenced...