Skip to main content

Sacred stretching

I like quiet mornings when I am the only one up. I open the blinds and spread out my yoga mat between legos and crayons. If I am feeling inspired, I light a candle or put on the diffuser with an essential oil. My sacred time. 

For several years, I have been doing the videos of Sarah Beth Yoga. In her most recent video, she shared a message that resonated with this project in a deep way. In between child's pose and downward dog, inhale and exhale, she reminded us to "find the balance between the strong and the calm." Not just referring to muscles when she suggests we ask ourselves, "where else can I soften?", she connects the physical with the emotional, the balance between masculine and feminine, the calm in the chaos. 

And in a society dominanted by masculine energy, she challenges yogis to "imagine for a moment, what would your world be like if you embraced the soft, celebrated the fluid, the intuition, the gentle?"

Aha! The sacred principle manifests in a morning yoga routine. The reminder to approach the world with a different energy, to balance and connect with the feminine energy inside of us and around us. The goddess within instead of the god up above.

When we do this, when we try to settle in, relax, soften, we connect with our breath, with where we touch the ground, where we connect to the earth, to our source, to our life. We find answers from within us. We hear ourselves, we hear Nature speaking through us and in us. We let the pressures of productivity, achievement, even technology, fall away. We go back to our roots, our purpose, our power. 

The video reminds us to "let go of control, practice trust." And I am reminded to trust that nature unfolds exactly as it should, that we cannot control the natural flow of the universe, that doing so is arrogant and only leads to frustration. That we are not the owners of the world, we are guests here, we depend on Her to survive. And She is gentle, fluid and soft -- but also fierce and fiery. And so are we. 

 Here is the video, if you would like to embark on the journey:

 



*I am in no way connected to, endorsed by or paid by Sarah Beth Yoga for this post. Just following the threads wherever they lead.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sacred swallows (a poem)

I am not indifferent to the swallows who chirp and fly  in the open space at the end of my street.  From my balcony I see their festivities when the world is quiet and the sky is pale But as the day sets in and the sky grows bluer their chirps get quieter or rather - everything else gets louder. The delivery truck unloading teas and tomatoes at the natural food store across the way. The city bus  starting its route down the one-way street.  The sidewalk cafés setting up and filling up  with breakfast visitors. And my own world gets noisy, too. My son calling for me, my almost-audible to-do list in my head, pings of messages on my phone, the hustle and bustle of morning busy-ness.  The swallows carrying on rejoicing their flying grub.  Their high-pitched noise in the background now merely a memory of music.   I often wonder why else hears them? Who else notices, or cares?   I often forget to check at midday as I cross the street or wait for th...

El futuro del origen: un relato ecotópico

Flora estaba perdida. Debería de haber regresado a la comunidad antes del anochecer, pero ya era imposible. Se le llenaron los ojos de lágrimas.   “ ¡Se van a preocupar!” lamentó. “Voy a perder mi propia celebración. Y encima, ¡tengo que ver dónde pasar la noche y buscar cómo volver mañana!” T enía apenas 14 años y era la primera vez que iba a pasar la noche sola en el monte. Hoy era su caminata, un paso determinante del rito de la primera sangre. Cuando partió esa mañana, estaba nerviosa por el reto de estar a solas y elegir su propio camino. Ahora se sentía como un fracaso: había tomado una decisión equivocada al elegir la ruta. Además le pesaba la decisión que tenía que tomar sobre la ruta de su vida, el área de la comunidad donde contribuiría. ¿También haría la decisión equivocada? Estaba perdida en todos sentidos. Sin embargo, no tenía miedo. Desde la infancia, Flora había aprendido a integrarse en el territorio, conocer las plantas y animales y desarrollar su i...

Mythic Roots of the Metacrisis

Originally published by Culture Hack, Issue 07: Beyond the Carbon Fixation : Pathways to Regenerative Futures November 2024 Mythic Roots of the Metacrisis   This article explores an ancient Babylonian creation myth as a root of the dominant Western worldview. The myth tells of the god Marduk’s violent conquest of the goddess Tiamat, marking a shift from revering nature and the feminine as sacred to a patriarchal, dualistic view that separates spirit and nature. This story’s legacy influences modern systems of dominance and extraction, fueling ecological and social crises. The author argues that reexamining such myths and adopting Indigenous cosmovisions could inspire systemic change by reviving a worldview that honors Earth as sacred.   *** Around 4,000 years ago in ancient Mesopotamia, scribes recorded a story that represented a fundamental shift in the worldview of that people. Surely the result of a process that took centuries and influenced...